Sleepless in Seattle

Last week, I spent some time in Seattle, Washington visiting my dear friend Kristin. She moved to the city after spending several months living and teaching abroad in Thailand. Her layover in Seattle, a planned week long trip, turned into 7 months of living in a new city. I was excited to explore Seattle, something I haven't done since my youth.

My first morning was spent in Ballard, sipping coffee with Kristin before she left for work. I explored Ballard by foot, walking along the industrial buildings and docked boats until I made my way to the Ballard Locks, a link for boats between the salt water of Puget Sound and the fresh water of the ship canal.

I walked back to the main stretch of Ballard and took a stroll down Ballard Avenue to grab lunch and shop. I ate a tasty sandwich from The Other Coast Cafe and picked up a couple of gifts for friends. That afternoon, I ventured to Fremont to see the Fremont Troll and explore the neighborhood. I wrote letters and postcards as I sipped on some tea from Fremont Coffee.

That evening, Kristin and I grabbed dinner at a dive bar known for their chili. After a warming meal, we stopped at a bar called Percy's to meet a couple of friends for a drink. That evening, Kristin and I met up with her co-worker Logan before the three of us went to see Julian Casablancas + The Voidz at a venue called Showbox.

After a busy first day in Seattle, I took it easy my second morning. I visited Pike Market and picked up some cheese, crackers, and fruit for the afternoon. From Pike Market, I walked down to the pier close to the Seattle Aquarium in order to get a better view of the water and the Great Wheel (a ferris wheel).

From downtown, I caught a bus that took me to Discovery Park. It was a lovely day for an afternoon hike - chilly but sunny. In fact, I was fortunate to have great weather my entire stay in Seattle. Anyway, I hiked from the bus stop through some trails and found myself going down an extremely steep hill down to the beach. After reaching the beach, I walked along the water until I arrived at the beautiful lighthouse that sits along the coast. The hike back up the steep hill was a little brutal, but I stopped halfway up and enjoyed the cheese and crackers I bought earlier in the day.

I returned to Ballard before heading to meet up with Kristin at work - she works at a preschool teacher. It was interesting meeting the 28 or so students at the school. I arrived shortly after snack time and helped some of the kids put on their jackets at hats for some play time outside. I was quite hungry after chasing the kids around the playground (and being chased), so Kristin and I headed to the U District to enjoy a delicious meal at Thai Tom. We called it an early night.

Saturday morning, we woke up and went to the pier near Pike Market in order to catch a ferry to Bainbridge Island. The ferry ride was one of the most magical things I have ever experienced. The weather was great, the sights were beautiful, and the cold air was refreshing and crisp. On Bainbridge, we explored the downtown area - one street full of charming restaurants and shops. I bought some lovely tea before we caught the ferry back to Seattle.

That evening, Kristin's friend Brooke picked us up and took us to Elliot Bay Brewing for dinner and drinks. It was the perfect end to a dreamy day.

My last day in Seattle was wonderful. Kristin and I got an early start to the day. We enjoyed a cup of coffee from Anchored Ship Coffee Bar before walking around the Sunday Ballard Farmers Market. I bought some handmade soaps, more loose leaf tea, and coffee beans. After a delicious brunch at The Sexton, I gathered my belongings and Kristin and I ventured over to Fremont for a cider tasting at Schilling's Cider House. I had my first flight of cider before my first visit to a sushi carousel restaurant. Sunday was definitely a win.

All in all, Seattle was beautiful, refreshing, and a place that I hope to return to sooner than later.